Old School Buildings.
The Old School Hatton Garden.
This building, reputed to have been from designs by Sir Christopher Wren. Was erected as a church by Lord Hatton to serve the needs of the neighbourhood after
St Andrews Holborn had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. It was adapted for use as a charity school about 1696. Was severely damaged by an incendiary
bomb during the 1939-45 war and has since been reconstructed internally to provide offices. The original facades being restored. The figures in eighteenth century
costumes were taken down and sent for safe keeping during the war to Bradfield College, Berkshire. They were replaced in their original positions
as a memorial to the former use of the building.
Bluecoat School Front Entrance with the inscription 'The Blew Coat School, built in 1709.'
Built on this site on Brewers Green in 1709 to provide an education for the boys of some of William Greene's brewery workers from his brewery in nearby Stag Place, and it is said that some barrels of beer where stored in the basement.
It became a mixed school for boys and girls four years later in 1713. It ended its school life in 1939 and now this fine building is used as an information centre and shop by the National Trust.
Rear View of Bluecoat School.
The content of this website is the property of knowledgeoflondon.com and must not be reproduced without permission. Every effort is made to ensure the details contained on this site are correct, however we cannot accept responsibility for errors and omissions.
About Us | Contact us | Advertising